If spring cleaning is on your to-do list for the weekend, here are a few extra tips to help you along. Start with the basics (wipe down the counters, clean the toilet, vacuum the carpet, wash your bed sheets and comforter, etc.) and then move on to tackle those harder-to-reach nooks and crannies where dust collects.
After that, go the extra mile and get to cleaning those often ignored home spots, such as the area under and behind the fridge.
Still not sure where to start?
Check out our list of spring cleaning must-dos below.
1. Wipe down the freezer. Clear out the contents, and clean it with a solution of one to two tablespoons of baking soda and one-quart hot water.
2. Soak all oven knobs, burners, burner covers and spill catchers in hot water with dish soap. Clean the oven and stove, then rinse the soaking items and replace them.
3. If possible, pull out the stove and refrigerator and sweep and mop behind them.
4. Clean all small appliances like toasters, blenders and coffeemakers.
5. Clean refrigerator coils. It will boost energy efficiency, saving you money in the long run.
6. Sweep and mop the floor.
7. Throw out any expired products from the cabinets and refrigerator.
8. Pour hot water down the sink drain to clear out any drain sludge.
1. Take medicine cabinet inventory. Throw away anything that’s expired.
2. Clean the fan and vent.
3. Wash the shower curtain.
4. Donate old and worn towels to your nearest animal shelter, like the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA).
5. De-scum the showerhead. If you can easily remove the head, soak it in a pot of one part-vinegar and one-part water and bring it to a simmer for 20 minutes. Then, brush off any deposits with a toothbrush. If your showerhead is not a removable fixture, pour hot water and vinegar into a zip-lock bag and secure it around the showerhead with durable tape, like painter’s tape. Let it soak for eight hours, then brush off any remaining deposit particles with a toothbrush.
6. Scrub the sink, toilet and tub.
7. Clean mirrors and any windows using our streak-free tips.
8. Pour boiling water down the drain to clear out any sludge.Need Help with your Spring Cleaning?